Nyumba

Jason and I have found a temporary place to live at Man-O-Bec court in Area 3, Lilongwe, Malawi. We’re staying in a lovely, spacious, fully furnished 2 storey townhouse. Jason and I can’t believe that we are staying here, it’s not what we were expecting and it’s the complete opposite of where Jason wants to be living. Our time here is only temporary. We are currently looking for a family to live with, and we will be leaving the house as soon as possible.
Jason and I are sharing the house with 3 other women who are all working on agriculture projects for the partner organisation that Jason is working with. We all get along very well, and I have really been enjoying their company and friendship.

Rachel is a 19 year old American. She is studying English and Theatre at Yale.
Shanna is a 23 year old Jamaican studying Economics at Harvard.
Antoinette (Toni) is a 27 year old Rwandan, studying Public Administration at the University of Vermont, USA
Since the girls work long hours at the office they have a housekeeper, named Stuart, come to the house 3 days a week. Stuart is a very pleasant man in his 40’s ( I think, I really can't tell how old these people are!) When he talks to me he finishes every sentence with “Madam.” for example: “Thank you for the broom Madam,” “Have a nice day Madam.” or “Is there anything else I can do for you Madam?” I feel bad that he is my elder and he is calling me Madam. I feel like I should tell him not to call me that, but all the locals call me Madam, so I think that is just how you address mzungu women around here. His job consists of tidying up around the house, doing any left over dishes, washing the floor, empting the trash and most important of all, laundry.
Laundry is all done by hand, and it takes at least 6 hours to dry since it is not hot here (we are in the winter season right now), and there is no direct sunlight on our clothesline. Once Stuart finishes tiding the house, which takes about 1 hour, he sits down and waits…waits for the clothes to dry. It must be boring, but he says he doesn’t mind. I try to have simple conversations with Stuart, which mostly end up with us not fully understanding each other, smiling, and walking away.
Almost every private building or residence seems to have a gate surrounding it with at least one guard. Our building has at least 2 guards who work 12 hour shifts. Their wives usually come and visit around meal times to cook for their husbands over a small fire or coal burner. I speak to the guards whenever I pass by. I have even taken a book, sat outside with them and asked them to help me learn the local language.
Lilongwe is divided up into many different “Area’s” (I do not know how many, 47 I think). These Areas were created by a former President to help define your status. Area 3 & Area 47 were for Mzungu’s (white people) while Area 12 & Area 16 were for Indians, and so on and so forth down the social status chain. I have yet to determine if the number of the Areas actually means anything, but so far no one can answer my question. Our house is located on top of a hill, beside the main street that leads directly in/out of town. Across the street from our townhouse is the Bishop’s house, a convent, and a cathedral. The walk into town is only 10 minutes, and we have access to almost anything you need.
As I mentioned our time at Man O Bec court is limited, so I will try to enjoy it as much as possible, being thankful for having such luxuries at my fingertips. We have found several housing options which Jason and I are...shall we say, having discussions about. We are depating on what luxuries we will do with out.
Jason doesn't want electricty or water, I do. He wants a lower class family, and I am more comfortable with a middle class family. We may move to more then one house, but for now we will enjoy the luxuries of Man O Bec Court.


6 Comments:
Nice place! Certainly not what I expected your home to be like there. Enjoy it while you can. There will so many other quarters that what be so comfortable, but I know the two of you will adapt and make the best of it. I am checking every day, it's so exciting to see more info and photos. Keep us posted.
Love A. Pam xoxoxoxo
Well,I can say that I am surprised at your accomadations .Not at all what was expected but after your first few weeks ,a welcome surprise .Ican understand Jason's hesitation about staying there and yet at the same time it would make a safe place for you to be at when he is away so much.Safety first!You are doing a great job Erin on the blog keep it up Love and Godbless Mum xoxo
Hello, Your story is interesting. It would be nice to have a very nice person like Stuart. He sounds very helpful. What I have read, it sounds like the group of people you have met are doing very well. Keep up the good work.
Love Madyson (almost 9!!!!!!)
xoxoxo
Hi Everyone,
It's so funny to read everyone's reply about how the accomadations are not what were expected. I think we have a misinterpretation of what it is like in Africa based on the media that is placed for us to see here in Canada. It is so nice to see the beautiful part of Africa because it is a beautiful place. What is more beautiful though... is knowing what you guys are doing down there will make an impact on that beautiful land and wonderful people for a lifetime.
Erin, your humour in what you have experienced thus far is hilarious. I love it!!
Love you both and take care for now.
Your big cuz, Nancy
Erin, you really are very good at this blog mylarky. I felt that I was sitting there with you at the wedding and I could see the humorous sight you were beholding. Hilarious. Could you imagine your Mum & Aunt Pam sitting there with you, it would have been hysterical. Great pictures, keep them coming. Love the apartment too, pity its only for a short while, but you can enjoy a little luxury for a time. Every girl deserves a little luxury, so make the most of it now, especially if you & Jason find a host family next with no amenities. Take care of each, love to both of you. Lorraine xxx0xxx
I'm glad to hear that you are both adjusting so well... and I'm curious to see and hear what your new 'accomodations' are like. With a sense of humor like yours, I'm certain that if you ended up living in a shack with no running water, no electricity, and only a mat to sleep on - you would pull through with a smile on your face. I miss you both, and hope that this finds you well!!
Love Laura
Post a Comment
<< Home